A food blog with tasty, feel-good recipes
made especially for those with acid-reflux.
Hi there, I’m Chaunté! I’m the writer/recipe developer here at The GERD Chef.
I’m here to share healthy and tasty meals created for those who suffer from symptoms of GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease (aka GERD). My hope is for others who experience chronic reflux (or just tummy troubles in general) to have access to an abundance of recipes & meal inspiration. Of course, my recipes are not JUST for people who have acid reflux, but also for anyone who wants to live a heathier lifestyle.
I’ve had symptoms of acid reflux since childhood (of course, I was unaware it was GERD at the time), but I wasn’t officially diagnosed until after having my daughter. Around that time, I was having issues with my food getting stuck while trying to swallow, along with unrelenting nausea, coughing, irritability because I felt miserable, dental issues, etc). I had no idea why this was happening and felt lost when I was given little instruction by my doctor on how to manage my symptoms.
I decided to take Zantac, an H2 blocker, that blocks histamine receptors, reducing the production of acid. This provided a little symptom relief, but it was more of a bandaid than anything. It wasn’t until November of 2016 that I decided to dig deep to find out what the root cause(s) of my symptoms were; it was time to make some changes to my diet and lifestyle.
Here is what has helped me over time:
- limiting foods that ferment in the stomach and that are hard to digest
- being more aware of how I’m eating, how much, and when
- implementing practices that help improve gut health
- learning to manage stress/anxiety
Check out my Top Tips for People with GERD post to learn more about how I’m healing.
To track my progress while healing, I decided to make an Instagram page, @thegerdchef, (which originally started off as my food diary/log). This was a way for me to not only hold myself accountable with these new changes, but hopefully help others who might be facing the same challenges. The page started growing into an amazing community of GERD sufferers who can share in both the difficulties and triumphs of healing. Eventually, I created a food blog, so that readers could easily search for and access recipes.
Random facts about me:
- I was born & raised in Boise, Idaho and love this beautiful state– even if it is known for it’s potatoes 😉
- My interests include creating recipes, hiking, fishing, DIY projects, coffee shop or bookstore hangs, & kickin’ it with my little fam
- Show’s I’m currently into: Grey’s Anatomy, Riverdale, and Jane the Virgin… apparently I have a thing for overdramatic, cheesey, yet entertaining shows? Favorite movies: Any of The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, or Star Wars movies. Alita: Battle Angel is more recent favorite!
- List-making is my jam
- I have Celiac Disease and food allergies (also a food allergy mom). Because of that, all of the recipes on The GERD Chef are gluten, dairy, egg, and soy free!
- I’m married to my high school sweetheart who also happens to be the official taste tester and #1 supporter of this page. Plus, he’s completely wrapped around this little one’s finger.
Let’s get to know eachother! Leave a comment below and share a random fact or two about yourself!
Disclaimers: I am not a doctor and this post is not to be used as medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a doctor before starting a new diet or taking any new dietary supplements.